On this page:
- 1 Where is it?
- 2 Short facts about the railway station
- 3 Travelling
- 4 History
- 5 Listed status
- 6 Station services
- 7 Getting there
The Grange-over-Sands railway station was opened in 1857 and is still in use, managed by Northern (Arriva Rail North) who replaced the former operator FirstTransPennine Express in 2016.
This railway station is located on the Furness Line, a British railway that runs between Barrow-in-Furness and Lancaster, joining the West Coast Main Line at Carnforth. Running along the Furness coast, the Furness Line is considered one of the most scenic in England. It was built between 1846 and 1857 and serves coastal towns such as Barrow-in-Furness, Ulverston and Grange-over-Sands.
Today, the Furness Line is chiefly a passenger line, but once upon a time it carried very heavy industrial cargo for the Furness area’s iron and steel industry. Among other things, coke from County Durham was transported on this railway.
Where is it?
The railway station is adjacent to the Grange-over-Sands Promenade, which runs along the edge of Morecambe Bay.
Short facts about the railway station
|Location||Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, England|
|Local authority||South Lakeland|
|Department for Transport
(Small staffed railway station with less than 250,000 trips annually.)
|Number of platforms||2|
|Managed by||Northern (Arriva Rail North)|
The Grange-over-Sands railway station is primarily served by local services from Lancaster to Barrow-in-Furness. A majority of the services along the line terminate at Barrow-in-Furness, but some continue along the Cumbrian Coast Line to Millom, Sellafield and Carlisle.
A few southbound services run through to Preston and Manchester Airport.
The railways through Grange was opened on 1 September 1857 by the Ulverstone and Lancaster Railway. Back then, the station was simply known as Grange. The name Grange-over-Sands was not adopted until June 1916.
On 1 January 1923, London Midland & Scottish Railway took over the station.
In the late 1990s, the station building went through extensive restorative renovations.
The Furness Railway Company commission E.G. Paley to design the railway building. Paley (1823-1895) was a Lancaster-based architect who is chiefly famous for designing, rebuilding and restoring churches, with most of his church designed following the Gothic Revival style. He did for instance design the Roman Catholic Church of St Peter in Lancaster in Gothic Revival style. Today, we know this church as the Lancaster Cathedral, as it was elevated to the status of cathedral in 1924.
One example of a secular building designed by Paley is the Royal Albert Asylum in Lancaster. He also created the designs for several country houses in north-western England. For his secular works, he quite often diverged from the Gothic Revival, employing styles such as Scottish Baronial and Tudor Revival instead.
The Grange-over-Sands railways station is Grade II listed. It was added to the list in 1975 and has the entry number 1269659.
In England, a listed building is one that has been placed on one of the four statutory lists maintained by the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England, an executive non-departmental public body of the British Government sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).
In 2012, the Grange-over-Sands railways station was declared Heritage Station of the Year.
The station booking office
The station booking office is on the Lancaster platform (known as the “up platform”).
Information available at the station
- Customer help points
- Digital info screens
- Automatic announcements
Storage facilities are found by platforms 1 and 2. There is a total of 20 storage spaces.
There is step-free access to both platforms.
There is a second-hand book-store named Oversands Bookshop located at the Barrow-in-Furness platform (known as the “down platform”).
There is a taxi rank right outside the station.
There is a bus stop for local services.
The X6 bus, operated by Stagecoach, runs to Ulverston and Barrow (westbound) and Kendal (eastbound).
Stands for bicycle parking are available at the station.
There is a small car park with 33 parking spots at the station. It is open 24/7. You have to pay a fee to park. The parking lot is not CCTV covered.